Chimicherrychangas! Inspired by "The Last Roundup" from season 2 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! These are really easy to make, and I'll try to explain everything step-by-step so even the most inexperienced bakers can follow along. This recipe makes two chimicherrychangas.
1 10-oz. jar baking cherries (maraschino cherries)
2 tsp corn starch
2 flour tortillas
7" saucepan or deep skillet
Small mixing bowl
1. Pour 1-2 cm of cooking oil into the saucepan. Heat the oil on medium until it reaches 350 F, then set to low.
2. While the oil is heating up, drain the cherries, then pour them into the mixing bowl. (Save 2 cherries for topping chimicherrychangas.) Mash the cherries with the whisk. Mix in the corn starch. (You can add more or less corn starch depending on how thick you want the filling to be.)
3. Place half of the cherry mixture in the center of each tortilla and wrap. (If your tortillas are not very flexible, try steaming them. Heat a small amount of water in a large pot or skillet, and place tortillas on a cooling rack or screen placed on top until they are flexible.)
4. Using the tongs, carefully place each wrapped tortilla into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oil and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
5. Serve with powdered sugar and a cherry on top!
If you use this recipe, leave a comment and let me know how they turn out!